With that, we invite you to relive the moments your community shared in together, in this Year on TikTok: Top 100.
1) Vibe Check: Top viral videos
Who had cranberry juice on their pandemic bingo card this year? 2020 saw an astounding number of videos go viral, entertaining millions and changing the lives of the creators who made them. These 10 viral videos led them to become cultural moments, launch careers, and be forever immortalized on the TikTok Top 100 list.
- @bellapoarch - Bella does M to the B.
- @420Doggface208 - Skateboarding his way to fame.
- @itscaitlinhello - The coworker you love to hate because WFH is hard.
- @nba - Jalaiah shows us how it's done at the NBA All-Star Game.
- @willsmith - Will wipes it down.
- @awa_de_horchata_uwu - An obscure cereal jingle that isn't bread becomes a bread sensation.
- @lizemopetey - Is it meatier or meteor? Hmmm.
- @iamtabithabrown - Do you see carrots? Bacon? It's carrot bacon.
- @thejulianbass - Who's your favorite hero?
- @hartyt_ - A goose throws it back.
2) It’s The Meme For Me: Top trends, hashtags, and challenges
It's the creativity TikTok has become famous for. Trends can start from a single video and turn into inspiration across the platform, quickly spreading across TikTok with the help of shared sounds, hashtags, and subjects. Whether it was a dance, a new comedy format, or a simple quote, these are the trends that took TikTok by storm in 2020.
- #YouHaveTo - You have to learn from these videos.
- #BlindingLights - A dance for the ages.
- #TwoPrettyBestFriends - Have you ever seen it?
- #HurtMyFeelings - This time I'll be bulletproof.
- #RandomThings - Showing off random things that just make sense.
- #DontLeaveMe - Puns and smiles.
- #IAmLost - Pouring some out for all the items we've lost.
- #BoredInTheHouse - In the house, bored with a beat.
- #TimeWarpScan - Limitless transformations in one creative effect.
- #MedievalTikTok - Can thee passeth the vibe checketh?
3) Rising Stars: Top creators
Creators are the heart of TikTok, making the platform unlike any other thanks to their creativity, commitment, and constant drive to make content that inspires audiences the world round. TikTok has become a launch pad for creators to build livelihoods by making content authentic to who they are and driven by their passions. These are the creators in the U.S. who rose to be TikTok's biggest breakout stars of the year, inspiring hundreds of millions of people to cook, dance, laugh, and wash their face.
- Charli D’Amelio
- Tabitha Brown
- Bella Poarch
- Devon Rodriguez
- Wisdom Kaye
- Addison Rae
- Michael Le
- Chriselle Lim
- Noah Beck
4) Voices of Change: Most impactful creators
This has truly been a year. Through it all, creators have used their platforms to spread awareness for social causes, advocate for marginalized and underrepresented communities, celebrate the many cultures that make the TikTok community so special, and help educate people about different viewpoints. 2020 was full of major cultural shifts both on and off TikTok and we're proud of the work our community has done to raise each other up. Below are just a few of the passionate creators who continue to fight for positive change in the US and around the world.
5) The A-List: Top celebs
Celebs: on TikTok, they're just like the rest of us. In 2020 that means stuck at home during a global pandemic. And just like a lot of us, they turned to TikTok to be entertained and to connect with their fans, showing us over and over again that they're human (and #boredinthehouse), too. While each celebrity adds a little something different to the community, these 10 celebs showed a special kind of commitment and creativity, landing them a spot on TikTok's A-list.
- Jason Derulo
- Kylie Jenner
- Charlie Puth
- China McClain
- Lil Yachty
- Dr. Phil
- Shay Mitchell
- Jack Black
6) The Playlist: Top songs
It's been a strange and savage year, and the TikTok community came through in shaping the soundtrack to our lives. This year saw songs transform into immersive, expansive universes, aided by the creativity of people jamming out to dance challenges, transformation trends, and even comedy skits! This 10 song playlist – featuring hits from established hitmakers, rising stars, and previously-unknown artists – is just a glimpse into some of 2020’s most defining hits that helped people from coast to coast find (or reconnect with!) their inner superstar as they danced their way through the year.
- "Savage Love" (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685 & Jason Derulo - The cross-continental chart-topper that only could have started on TikTok.
- "Savage" Remix - Megan Thee Stallion - Megan’s empowering anthem slays with help from two queens: Beyoncé and @keke.janajah.
- "OUT WEST" (feat. Young Thug) - Travis Scott - One of the first and biggest viral hits of 2020.
- "WAP" (feat. Megan Thee Stallion) - Cardi B - 🙈
- "Say So" - Doja Cat - Bouncy pop jam that helped make Doja Cat one of the creators’ favorite artists.
- "Tap In" - Saweetie - Saweetie once again won hearts with this twerkable banger.
- "The Box" - Roddy Ricch - The TikTok community powered this rap track and its unique ad-libs to 2020’s longest Hot 100 reign.
- "Rags2Riches" (feat. ATR Son Son) - Rod Wave - The inspirational rap ballad to soundtrack dramatic glow-ups.
- "Supalonely" (feat. Gus Dapperton) - BENEE - A combination of indie-pop bounce, self-deprecation, and quarantine-appropriate lyrics.
- "What You Know Bout Love" - Pop Smoke - #ForeverPop
7) Such a Snack: Top food recipes, trends, and hacks
Who knew you could learn how to cook in under 60 seconds?!? 2020 could be described as the year when everyone became a semi-professional chef because, well, we had no choice. And naturally, the TikTok food community came to our rescue. Recipes, fresh takes on classic snacks, and food hacks all helped keep people busy while staying socially distant. These 10 videos make up the crème de la crème of TikTok food content. And yes, in 2020 anything can be converted into a new form of cereal.
- Pancake Cereal
- Whipped Coffee
- Banana Bread
- Oddly satisfying for the BBQ lovers
- Donut Cereal
- Ramsay Reacts
- Cream cheese and bell peppers
- Ice Cream Cake
- How to make chocolate... from scratch
- DIY Hazelnut Spread
8) Glow Up: Top style and beauty trends
The world is your runway and TikTok is your wardrobe designer. With countless beauty and makeup hacks, fashion gurus, and those on their way to be, there's no shortage of opportunities to learn how to glow up. 2020 raised the already impressive bar of beauty and style content with something for everyone – whether you're just dipping a toe in the garment design pool or you want to become the next makeup icon. These 10 videos are collected from a broad range of creators who made it look easy, darlings.
- All the styles we've come to love while listening to Savage.
- Changing your shoes should always be this easy.
- The ultimate in high low fashion.
- Outfit color combos FTW.
- A most fabulous transformation.
- Makeup but make it bee themed.
- Face masks gone wrong because 2020.
- A quick and easy skincare routine.
- How to dress like a high fashion model.
- How to make a butterfly dress.
9) Biggest Little Communities: Top niche communities
Everyone has a different TikTok experience tailored to what piques their unique interests. For some that's plant parenting or sketching anime, for others it's the fantasy of cottagecore and the theatre. Whatever you're interested in, no matter how common or obscure, on TikTok you can find and connect with a community that shares your passion. Below are 10 of the most beloved of the bunch, each earning the title of top niche TikTok communities of 2020.
- #AltTikTok - You've landed on Alt TikTok.
- #WitchTok - The community that cast a spell on us in 2020.
- #DracoTok - Scared Potter?
- #CottageCore - The peaceful simple life aesthetic.
- #RugTikTok - Where every rug is a winner!
- #ArtTikTok - Mesmerizing art for all.
- #PlantTok - Because plants need love too.
- #TheatreKids - My way. My way to Broadway!
- #HolidayTikTok - Where the season officially starts on November 2.
- #AnimeTikTok - Welcome to the secret anime society.
10) Extremely TikTok: Top product elements
From special effects that stop time, change backgrounds, or augment voices to collaborative tools like Duet or Stitch that give people the chance to make content with their fellow TikTok creators, there's no denying TikTok's unique suite of creative tools and product features bring people joy. Here are the top product elements that made videos extremely TikTok in 2020.
- Green Screen - Transporting creators anywhere they want to be.
- Reply to Comment - Video responses hit harder.
- Green Screen Video - Green Screen in motion.
- Duet - Connect and collaborate with other creators.
- Voiceover - Making narration possible.
- Disco - Bring the club into any video.
- Voice Effect - Changing the vocals.
- Stitch - A way to show what you're referencing.
- Color Customizer - Make each color pop.
- Donation Stickers - Helping the community with charitable donations.